What is the Emergency Card Scheme?
Our free Carers Emergency Card Scheme is a safe way to hold essential information about the person you care for, what their care needs are and who needs to be informed if something goes wrong.
The card is for carers of vulnerable adults as the scheme is overseen by Enfield’s adult social services. If you suddenly were unable to provide care, the Emergency Card lets everyone know you are a carer for someone and what you would want to happen.
Why would I need a Carers Emergency Card?
“What would happen to the person I look after if I’m unwell or have an accident or emergency?” This thought is often at the back of carers’ minds and ignoring it can make it more of a worry.
How does the Emergency Card scheme work?
If you have an accident anyone finding the card, usually the emergency services, will be able to phone Safe & Connected, who will then set your plan in motion, depending on the circumstances:
- Call one of your nominated emergency contact persons so they can put your plan into action
- Call the person you care for to inform them if you have requested this
Safe & Connected will visit your property only if they hold keys and if you have included this request in your plan.
How to Apply for an Emergency Card
Before you apply for the Carers Emergency Card Scheme, take some time to think if you have:
- talked through the Emergency Plan with the person you care for.
- had their agreement that you can include their details in the Plan unless they lack capacity to provide this
- discussed the Plan with your family or friends
- had agreement from them that they are prepared to help in an emergency
Permission is important
Make sure you speak to the person you care for about the Emergency Plan as they need to agree to their details being included. This may not apply to cases where the person is not able to fully understand what is being discussed. You also need to speak to anyone named as a contact in the Plan so they know what they’ll have to do if a crisis occurs. They must also give permission for their details to be contained in the Emergency Plan. Give them a copy of the Plan as soon as you complete it. We can copy it for you to give them if you ask us to.