Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you require someone to help look after you.
You can get Attendance Allowance if you’ve reached State Pension age and the following apply:
- you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
- your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety
- you have needed that help for at least 6 months (unless you’re terminally ill)
There is only a care component, it does not cover mobility needs.
It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability i.e. there is a low or high rate.
The higher rate is paid for night time needs.
You do not have to have someone caring for you in order to claim.
If you do have a carer, they could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.
The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.
You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you get Attendance Allowance – check with the helpline or office dealing with your benefit.
Attendance Allowance is not means-tested: what you earn or how much you have in savings will not affect what you get.
Changes of circumstances
Your circumstances can affect how much you get, for example, moving between the lower and higher rates. You must contact the Attendance Allowance helpline if your circumstances change. For example:
- the level of help you need or your condition changes
- you go into hospital or a care home
- you go abroad for more than 4 weeks
- you’re imprisoned or held in detention
You must also contact the helpline if:
- you change your name, address or bank details
- you want to stop receiving your benefit
- your doctor’s details change
Attendance Allowance helpline is Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Telephone: 0800 731 0122
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0122