Pension Credit is for people of pension qualifying age. This is a means tested benefit.

Pension Credit tops up:

  • your weekly income to £177.10 if you’re single
  • your joint weekly income to £270.30 if you have a partner

If your income is higher, you might still be eligible for Pension Credit if you have a disability, you care for someone, you have savings or you have housing costs.

There are 2 different kinds:

Pension Credit Guarantee – tops up your weekly income if it’s below the threshold.

  • Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below the current amount for single people or a different threshold for couples.
  • It may entitle you to full council tax benefit and full housing benefit. It also qualifies you for free dental treatment and help with the cost of glasses and you will be exempt from the cost of a TV licence if you or your partner are over 75.

Pension Credit Saving – is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement (no longer available for new claimants who have reached pension age).

To qualify for Pension Credit:

  • you must live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • you and your partner must have reached State Pension age

Your partner is your husband, wife or civil partner (if you live with them) or someone else you live with as if you were married.

Changes From 15 May 2019

If you already get Pension Credit and you’re single, you’ll stop getting Pension Credit if you start living with a partner who is under State Pension age. You can start getting it again when your partner reaches State Pension age.  Your partner will have to claim Universal credit for you as a couple.

 How to claim

The quickest way to apply for Pension Credit is by phone.

A friend or family member can call for you – you must be with them when they call.

Pension Credit claim line
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 99 1234

Monday to Friday, 8am to 7:30pm

You can use a paper application if you’re unable to make a claim by phone. Contact a voluntary organisation (for example Enfield Carers Centre, Citizens Advice or AgeUK) in your area – or get a friend or family member to call the helpline to ask for a paper application.