Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit unless one of the following apply:
- You live in temporary accommodation
- You live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens
- You receive a severe disability premium or are eligible to a severe disability premium
- You are of state pension age
From 15th May 2019 changes in your circumstances may mean that you are no longer entitled to housing benefit and may need to apply for Universal credit
How much you can get
How much you get depends on:
- the lower figure of your ‘eligible’ rent or LHA rate
- your household income including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000)
- your circumstances (for example your age or whether you have a disability)
To check your eligibility or make a claim click on the link : https://new.enfield.gov.uk/services/benefits
Council Tax Support
If you are on a low income, whether you’re working or not, and need financial help to pay your Council Tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax Support.
You may get Council Tax Support if you pay Council Tax and your income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain level. You may apply whether you rent or own your home, or live rent-free. You could qualify if you are out of work, or in work and earning a wage.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support – New claims
Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Support (CTS) are means-tested welfare benefits. The amount you could receive is based on your income, capital, circumstances, rent and Council Tax levels. These benefits help people on low income pay their rent and Council Tax. Both benefits can be claimed on the same form.
Use Enfield Council’s benefit/support calculator to see if you are entitled and make an online claim by clicking on this link enfield.betteroff.org.uk
Unfortunately, Enfield Carers Centre cannot help with Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support queries or claims, but if you contact Enfield Council’s Housing Benefit and Council Tax team on 020 8379 1000 or visit their Benefits website page by clicking here council benefits information