If your local council carries out a care needs assessment on your cared for person and agrees they have eligible needs for care and support at home, they will do a means test This will take into account their income and savings. Unless they’re going into a care home, this won’t take into account the value of their property.

Can I get financial support to pay for homecare?

Make sure the person needing care is claiming all the benefits they’re entitled to.

  • Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people over State Pension age who need extra help to stay independent at home, due to an illness or disability.
  • If they’re under State Pension age, they may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment instead
  • If you are their carer, you could be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

These benefits aren’t means-tested, so don’t take into account income and savings. To find out more, click here to jump to our Benefits Advice Pages.