We understand that as a Carer your finances may be under pressure depending on your personal circumstances. There are a number of options that might be available to you and we’ll help you access these wherever possible.

Read on and contact us if you need assistance or try the Benefits Calculator to review your current entitlements.

Claiming Benefits

We have advisers who can help you understand your entitlements and support you throughout your application.

Managing Debts

When times are difficult, we may be able to help

Most Common Questions

Got a question? It may have been asked before. See if we can answer it here

Helpful Organisations

A list of other organisations that may be able to help with specialist knowledge


Help from ECC

Unfortunately, at this moment in time and until further notice, Enfield Carers Centre is unable to provide a Benefits Advice Service.
Please check our Events page in this website, and our January – June 2024 Newsletter.
The following information gives details of where else you may be able to get benefits advice or assistance. We will post a notification as soon as our new advisor is in post.

Enfield Connections – Explain that you are a family/unpaid Carer referred by Enfield Carers Centre and ask specifically for an appointment with the Citizen Advice’s special appointment calendar that Enfield Connections have access to.

Mind in Enfield – for mental health service users/Carers only. They prefer referrals to come from a Mental Health professional or the GP, so ask your GP or MH keyworker/Care Coordinator to make a referral for you/your loved one

Email: adviceteam@mind-in-enfield.org.uk or telephone 0208 906 7505

Age UK (for Pensionable Age Claims only) Tel: 0208 375 4120.
Info, Advice & Advocacy service can help those receiving pensions with a wide range of issues, including understanding entitlement to benefits and help you to claim.

Macmillan Cancer Benefit Advice Project for Cancer patients (provided by Barnet Citizens Advice): 0208 440 4227 Outreach sessions by appointment only at: Chase Farm and North Middlesex hospitals.

Enfield Council’s Welfare Benefits Team. Council’s “Welfare Advice and Debt Support” team – available at Edmonton Green and Enfield town Libraries. They can help people to apply for certain benefits (see below) and check that you’re receiving what you’re entitled to. The Welfare Advice and Debt Support team provide support to vulnerable residents to help them maximise their income and get their full entitlement to welfare benefits.

The Council’s team advise and assist residents with council debts, such as:
> Council Tax arrears
> Rent arrears
> Housing Benefit overpayments
> Adult social care debts
The Council’s team will book an appointment at a time that is convenient for you and an officer. This meeting will either be over the phone, at home or at one of the council locations, such as the Enfield Civic Centre, Edmonton Green Library and other locations.
If you’re interested in their services, please complete their referral form.


Claiming Benefits

Understanding your benefit entitlements can be difficult. What is an underlying entitlement? How does claiming one benefit impact on others being claimed?

If you are a Carer, living in Enfield or caring for someone living in Enfield, we have advisers who can explain your options and help you understand your entitlements and support you throughout your application.

Carers’ Allowance

The main benefit from the Government for carers. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for

Pension Credit

Pension credit is for pension aged people and it can top up your weekly income if that is below the threshold

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work this may help you

Help With Housing Costs

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits. Housing Benefit is changing with Universal Credit.


Disability Related Benefits

Disability Living Allowance

The main benefit for children with a condition or disability. Any disabled child or ill child might qualify.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Help if a long-term health condition or disability, affects your ability to cope with daily living tasks and mobility. PIP is for working age people.

Attendance Allowance

For people 65 and over, who have a long term health condition that affects their ability to cope with their daily living tasks